Original 13 Rules
1. The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.
2. The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands, but never with the fist.
3. A player cannot run with the ball. The player must throw it from the spot on which he catches it.
4. The ball must be held in or between the hands. The arms or body must not be used for holding it.
5. No shouldering, holding, pushing, striking or tripping an opponent.
6. A foul is striking at the ball with the fist.
7. If a side makes three consecutive fouls it counts a goal for the opponents.
8. A goal shall be made when the ball is thrown or batted from the ground into the basket and stays there.
9. When the ball goes out of bounds, it shall be thrown into the field and played by the first person touching it.
10. The umpire shall be judge of the men and shall note the fouls and notify the referee when three consecutive fouls have been made.
11. The referee shall be the judge of the ball and decide when it is in play in bounds, to which side it belongs, and shall keep the time.
12. The time shall be two 15-minute halves with five minutes' rest between.
13.The side making the most goals in that time shall be declared the winner.
return to ... History of Basketball